Homemaker & Breadwinner

Tuesday, September 5, 2017

My Global Headache



My planet-sized problem all started when I said “Yes!” to the Globe Telecom CSR's (Customer Service Representative) pitch to upgrade my postpaid line to Plan 599 from Plan 499. It seemed like a good idea at that time. I would be getting so much more for a mere Php100 per month, I said to myself. And I would have probably been another satisfied customer if someone at Globe hadn’t bungled up. Eleven months down the road and an unquantifiable amount of stress on my part later, they haven’t managed to untangle my problem yet!! Here’s what happened: 
1)   In November 2016, I went to Globe SM Masinag branch to request for recontracting of my postpaid plan. I upgraded from Best Ever My Superplan 499 (Combo GOSURF PV299 700MB + Combo All Net Texts PV100 + Combo All Globe Calls PV100) to My LifeStyle Plan 599 (built-in Unli Call & Text to Globe/TM499 + GOSURF PV99  200MB) with free Huawei Titan Black mobile phone. After submitting the required documents to CSR Bong, I was told that the changes in my plan would be reflected in my Statement of Account (SOA) starting Dec 16, 2016 or two (2) billing cycles later.

One billing cycle later (instead of the 2 billing cycles agreed upon), I found out that My Lifestyle Plan 599 was already included as part of my Monthly Recurring Fee (MRF) for the bill period 16 Nov 16 – 15 Dec 16.  

Also, I started monitoring my monthly mobile data consumption using my Android device’s built in Data Manager. Almost every 15th of the month, I would get a screen grab of my Local Data usage because it may come in handy.

2)   On June 2, 2017, I called Globe Hotline (211) to inquire about the discrepancies in my Local Data browsing charges. Although I have a 200MB monthly data allocation, this was not reflected in any of my SOA since December 16, 2016. Instead of P599 per month for Unli Call & Text to Globe/TM and GOSURF 200MB, Globe charged me an extra Php1 for every 1MB that I consume within my data allocation! My bill spiked up to P799 per month even if I did not consume more than the data allowed by my new plan.

Apparently, Globe has charged me on Time Browsing instead of Volume/Bulk Data Browsing. The CSR informed me that she would rectify the billing for June 16 onwards. As for the previous SOAs (December 16, 2016 to June 15, 2017), I was advised to proceed to SM Masinag Branch to rectify it.

3)   On July 12, 2017, I again called 211 to inquire about the uncorrected discrepancy in my SOA. The CSR bluntly told me that it was not within her power to remedy my problem. It was after this conversation that I decided to personally take my complaint to Globe SM Masinag branch.

4)  On July 19, 2017, I went to Globe SM Masinag branch and hand carried a formal complaint letter and copies of the erroneous SOAs.  As I asked for a number to be queued at the Customer Service, the Globe security personnel told me that their system is offline so they were turning down customers because their staff won’t be able to pull out our records! But I insisted anyway to talk to a CSR since they can just receive and put a stamp on my complaint letter.

CSR Leni, the branch officer, read my letter and started reviewing my case. Within an hour, she reversed a total of P1,982.31 (inclusive of 12% VAT).

5)    On August 16, 2017, I returned to Globe SM Masinag branch to report that the REDEEM GOSURF 50 (1GB/30days) Rewards that I claimed via text last June 26 was not reflected in the SOA dated 16 Jun 17 – 15 August 17. I even showed CSR Nathan a confirmation text from Globe 4438 that I’ve successfully redeemed the Globe Reward. Nathan told me that he would study the problem then get back to me in a few days with an answer. And so, I left the Globe store with no solution in sight!
    Supposedly, for only 25 points I am entitled to 1GB of data for 30 days. Not wanting to let my accumulated points to just expire as it has in the past, I decided to use those points. For reasons still unexplained, Globe did not honor their own promotional points and instead charged me an extra P1249.20 (exclusive of 12% VAT) for excess data charges that month!

6)    On August 23, 2017, I called 211 for an update on the status of my bill reversal request at Globe SM Masinag. According to the CSR, my request/complaint was not even on the record so I had to begin the lengthy process from scratch! For the very first time, the CSR gave me an 8-digit Reference Number (42265335) so I can follow-up my case after 2-3 working days.

7) On August 31, 2017, I called 211 for an update on Reference # 42265335. Upon checking, the CSR said that he will have to re-process said request because the Reference No. should have 9-digits instead of 8-digits. Meaning my file won’t reach the “back-end” which I surmised pertains to the decision-makers. So again I have to narrate my request just to be sure that everything is in order. Then, the CSR gave me a new 9-digit Reference # (112319522).

8)    On September 5, 2017, I called 211 for an update on Reference # 112319522. According to CSR Cheryl, my case was denied so they will not reverse the amount of P1,399.10 (Php1,249.20 + 12% VAT) which I paid for in advance through the Auto Pay arrangement with my credit card provider. She further suggested that I email my complaint at talk@globetel.com.ph if I want to reopen the case.

So you see, after 11 months, 5 Globe Hotline calls, 3 Globe Store visits, and 1 complaint letter, only two of my three complaints were acted upon favorably. This is really perplexing because I had more than enough evidence to substantiate my claim of erroneous billing on all three instances!

What bugs me even more is why I, of all people (on the third planet from the sun in this solar system), was erroneously billed on three separate occasions in the space of less than a year?! And why was I given an apparently non-existent 8-digit reference number? All that I can say right now is that a loyal customer of 15-years like me should not have to endure all this!

In case someone asks why I felt the need to publicize my personal woes, my answers are as follows:

  • To nudge Globe management (and other companies giving similar services) into remedying weaknesses in its billing system so no other customer will suffer the way I did.
  • To inform the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) that these problems do exist, they are not unique and so they should be considered in government policy-making.
  • And because there are lessons to be learned here that can benefit all us consumers in the long run.

As for me, the greatest lesson I have learned from this experience is that we should never allow our consumer rights be eclipsed by corporate bureaucracy. If absolutely needed, we should be prepared to bombard them with a meteor shower of complaints!   --Misis

No comments:

Post a Comment